Re: [OM] Hmmm, very interesting...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hmmm, very interesting...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:41:58 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:
>> Anyway, blame it all on Ornery AG. I wasn't going to do anything until he
>> asked. :-)
>
> Oh, sure.  Blame it on me!
>
> I actually liked what Moose did for it.

Eeeek!

> In the darkroom I would have attempted to soften the grain a bit too and the
> tonal recovery was similar to what I would have done with split-grade
> printing. The digital image as shown on the web doesn't do the original
> justice because of how grain accentuates and turns into golf balls when
> presented on-screen. But I will admit that the original has a grittiness that
> goes right along with the subject matter. I think it is quite appropriate.
> But Moose's interpretion is probably more representative of the real chemical
> B&W print.

I thought the original appropriate enough to the subject matter that I
didn't think of messing with it until you mentioned it. I did like the
enhanced back lighting effect I got, too. One could combine the two ...

You should have seen the no-grain version. Not unappealing, but a very
different image.

Moose