Re: [OM] How do I use chemical process print paper profiles in PhotoShop

Subject: Re: [OM] How do I use chemical process print paper profiles in PhotoShop?
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:26:41 -0500
Don't judge it based on what you see on screen. Send the converted file to
the lab for a print. The conversion will alter how the colors lok on screen
but when printed will, if your screen is setup right, print closer to the
unconverted file's colors. The purpose of the profile is to compensate for a
printer's innaccuracies. For example a print has a grey area, totally
neutral (A black and white print is a good example). All three color
channels have the same value when you put the cursor over any area of the
pic and see the numbers in the info palatte. The printer, however, shifts
greys toward green (this is a made up example, each device is different), so
converting to the machine's profile shifts the tones toward the opposite of
green (magenta) to compensate. This will produce a neutral BW print, even
though the converted file looked magenta on screen. So, don't judge the
conversion of screen..print it and see which looks best.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography