Re: [OM] OT: Google Wave

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Google Wave
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:07:03 +0200
Brah-vo Charlie, I agree fully.

P.S. I am greatly concerned about the inherent power people place in
the hands of
a single corporation like Google (who is by law mandated to make money
for their shareholders
above all other causes) in the form of willingly hosting or channeling
*all* forms
of information:

- e-mail
- documents
- calendars
- contact info
- geographic / photographic information regarding locations
- etc etc

through this one company. Why do people trust Google so much? Far too
much power
that can affect far too many people are in the hands of one money-
making machine.

I truly believe that services such as web search must be via fully
open-source
software hosted on publicly-funded infrastructure. Google has woven
themselves
into society to such an extent, that their existence is almost
guaranteed no matter
what evil things they may choose to do.

That is not right... Do we really want a world where ONE corporation
owns your information,
your web browser, your phone, your operating system, etc etc?

Anyway, I just have a very bad feeling about all of this. On the topic
of "Waves" though,
for anybody who's read their information, the idea is quite a novel
attempt at superseding
older (but successful) forms of message-based communication, such as e-
mail.