Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem
From: Tom Fenwick <super.wide@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:34:59 +0000
2009/12/2 C.H.Ling

> I'm sure there are still thousands of people very happy with the 5D II, it
> depends on how they use the camera and their acceptance standard.

I use it to take photographs, which I intend to print. My acceptance
standard has led me on a long journey from OM through Leica's and various
medium format experiments, and finally to the 5D and then the 5D2, which
gives the best results of any of them, even when using some of my original
OM lenses.  There is no perfect camera, of course.

> If one
> don't boost exposure in post processing then it should be fine. With this
> noise problem you are limited when playing with HDR. For example shooting
> the sun, one may shot at -3 stops to retain the details of the sun and then
> push the shadow during post processing so you can mix a normal developed
> image with a boosted one to make a better one. To ensure lower noise you
> need low ISO and this require NR to remove the pattern noise due to this
> problem and low contrast details could be lost in the process.
>
> In most cases if you print the image the shadow noise is not easy visible
> as
> paper has much narrow D-range, shadow and highlight are usually sacrificed
> for a good mid-tone.

In most cases if you don't print the image nobody will see it at a size that
reveals a tenth of its subtle detail and tonality unless they are peering at
huge screen enlargements of tiny portions of the image.

> To me, if I pay that money I need something better, such problem was not on
> my 40D, I don't expect it on a 5D II.

My only previous canon was a 5D, and the new one is better in every way.
Anyway, as I said before I don't really want to argue here, except maybe
with the implication that unless one has a low 'acceptance standard' the 5D
is not worth consideration until there is a mkIV!!  If it really caused me a
problem, I would probably get a 40D for next to nothing to shoot -3 stop
frames of the sun, and stick with my 5D2 for everything else, where it's
clearly better!

Tom