Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem
From: Tom Fenwick <super.wide@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:24:04 +0000
Yes.  I am sorry for the tone of my earlier message; I'm not well today and
possibly a little grumpy.

I don't sell a lot of prints yet either, but I make a lot as part of my
learning process.  What I've been seeking is really just something digital
that is idiot-proof enough to let me shoot the way I did with tri-x,
diafine, m6 and get acceptable results.  I tried for a long time with
Olympus DSLRs, but they didn't meet this requirement despite being excellent
in many ways.  The 5D was the first digital camera I tried that could do it,
although it was clearly inferior to the E3 in several ways.

I get excited now by the 5D2 because it not only has enough dynamic range to
allow for careless technique, which is probably all I really needed, but
also delivers results in prints that I prefer to anything I've produced with
any of the other equipment I've tried at any time.

My requirements are probably not typical, anyway, and I do understand why
you've not been satisfied with your camera (and perhaps also Lightroom,
which for me only needs to work better than a spare bedroom filled with
hundreds of rolls of undeveloped or unscanned film, and countless hours
spent locked in the bathroom in the dark!)

Tom

2009/12/2 C.H.Ling