Re: [OM] E-1 Noise Pattern and dynamic range in an extremely boosted fil

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 Noise Pattern and dynamic range in an extremely boosted file
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:16:52 -0600
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=474&Itemid=1
>
> <http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=474&Itemid=1>Yes,
> this is the test I mentioned last night in the 5Dmk2 thread. I took a
> heavily underexposed picture of an IT8 target and boosted it looking for
> noise patterns.  Enjoy.

Thanks Ken.  Have you attempted to match the -5 stop version to one
that is right on with PP and NR?  It looks like it should be possible
to get it close.  Just from some high ISO tests I've done, I'd expect
that it might be difficult to get comparable sharpness alongside of
truly acceptable noise reduction (i.e., matching the "right on"
exposure).  That at least is my experience with 3200 on the E-1, but
you may have better tools/skills than I.

Joel W.