Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:31:43 -0600

> Sounds like a bug in ACR.

You are just waiting for me to jump right up on my anti-Adobe soapbox here,
aren't you?

Well, guess what.  I'm not. But I am about to launch on us photographers who
blindly trust that it's ________ therefore it's wonderful. Fill in the blank
with whatever you want.

Unless a person does their own testing and analysis and pushing the limits
of things, you're subject to whatever whims of design flaws that might come
your way.

When I was taking flying lessons, I fired one of my instructors because he
taught only the straight and level and not how to recover from the the
problem attitudes. He refused to take the airplane to a stall, but when
things started feeling rough (5 kts above stall) he'd shove the throttle
back in, level the plane and say "close enough".  When he said that he
didn't believe in short-field operations and that the 10,000 foot runways
were good enough for training on, I had enough of him. The fact was, by that
point I already knew how to shortfield/softfield land a Cessna 172 and bring
it to a complete stop in well under 300 feet, so I knew the guy was
worthless. I asked him about slips and he said that he didn't teach them.  I
asked him how I was going to pass the checkride, and he said something to
the effect that he sends all his students to this one check pilot who
doesn't push the issue.   PS, on one approach to a 10000' runway I was way
high on final, but knew how to slip it in and squeek it on the threshold,
but he forced me to go around. Yeah, I know, he was the instructor, but good
grief... We could have landed it 10 times in the length of the runway! BTW,
the instructor that taught me the shortfield work was a former missionary
bush pilot. During one training flight we landed a Cessna 172 crosswise on a
wide runway.  I got my early flight training on another treelined airport,
though, that had a 25' wide runway. In fact, the entire clearing of one of
the runways was not even 150' wide. Landing on that runway required that you
almost stall the airplane as your wheels brush the branches of the 100'
trees at the end of the runway. This was the airport my dad flew out of all
the time and it was as challenging as anything anywhere. The crosswinds were
ALWAYS horrid and swirling and only one runway departure, of the four,
didn't have at least an 85' tree at the end. Did I mention the ever present
deer on the runways or the fact that at no point in the pattern could you
see the entire runway? (That airport is now closed and the runways are
almost totally reclaimed by nature--good riddence)

My point is, that you need to test to failure.  Test to see just how far you
can push an image. Learn and apply. As to the pushing of an image two or
more stops, that isn't unusual because we do a ton of highlight and shadow
recovery in our images which can far exceed two stops of manipulation.

I personally continue to test my equipment, even though I think I know
everything there is to know about it because every time I do, I end up
learning something new.

AG