Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:07:43 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Olympus Camera Discussion" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:58 PM

> Oh, the flying milk stool. Fully loaded on a summer day, the Tri-Pacer had
> the rate of climb of a river barge. There was one based at our tiny
> airport
> and the owner couldn't clear the trees if he was at gross. He then
> converted
> it to a taildragger (Pacer) and the performance improvement was
> substantial.
> Another pilot had the Colt, but that poor thing couldn't clear it's own
> throat, much less the trees at gross weight.
>
> I love the published specifications for those airplanes. I think the climb
> speed is based on a climb prop, but the cruise speed is based on a cruise
> prop. Pick one or the other, but not both.
>
> But they were fun to fly in. I have a soft spot for tubular steel frames
> and
> fabric covered wings.
>
> AG

The early, 125-hp PA-22s could be equipped with two-position props, so you
could have it both ways.  I flew the 135-hp, and later the 150s, and they
performed pretty well.  With half-flaps for takeoff, and full-flaps for
landings, I could outperform Cessna 172s, and get a little faster cruise to
boot. They were not pretty and shiny, but the old chrome-moly steel tubing
and fabric were tough, and easy to repair.

You were correct about the Colt.  Underpowered and no flaps, it was strictly
a round-the-patch trainer.

Jim Nichols (Without a Medical Certificate since 1992)