Re: [OM] Shadow color shifts [was5D II pattern noise problem]

Subject: Re: [OM] Shadow color shifts [was5D II pattern noise problem]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 08:10:21 -0500
I understand what you're saying (I think) but I still have a problem
with the notion that Canon can apply their "inside information" since
that information has to be encoded somewhere within the raw file.  If we
have 14 bits to encode brightness information and underexpose by 4 stops
it seems to me that the lowest 4 stops of the original scene have just
become 0.  Those lowest 4 stops have just all been melded into the
blackest of blacks and there is no way to recover them.

If there is a difference (as there is) between ACR and DPP, whatever is
being recovered by DPP has to come from what would have been (in a
normal exposure) some 4 stops higher up the brightness chain...
otherwise it would have been melded into 0.  The fact that DPP can
recover something means it was not 0.  Since ACR reports 0 for some
values I conclude ACR has missed the boat somehow.

The only way I can see DPP using some inside info here is that the raw
file contains something more than just 14 bit brightness values for each
sensor site.  So, where am I missing the boat?

I'll be convinced if the 5D under ACR behaves the same as the 5DMkII

Chuck Norcutt