[OM] Millenial discs/writer now available--loooong term storage

Subject: [OM] Millenial discs/writer now available--loooong term storage
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:42:31 -0500
A list member provided a link to this company about 6 months ago.  I
have been keeping track.  They still didn't have prices on their web
site so I gave them a ring--see below.  They provided a bunch of pdf's
with various tests including "gold" archival DVD's and error rates read
on different machines.  They are working on a blu-ray version of
course, though the laser is much different and etches more
superficially then on
DVD's.  They think it will be over 1 year development time for that and
possibly 2 years.
At this price seems more likely a solution for corporations.  At least
my OM images come with their own analog archival storage solution.

I think I'll go etch some petroglyphs after I finish gnawing on my own
wooly mammoth  bone.

A Sticker Shocked Mike

Mike,

Thank you for calling today. I look forward to answering any questions
you may have about this permanent archival solution.

Please keep in mind that our technology is different from current DVDs.
While the M-ARC Disc can be read in current DVD players, it is composed
of completely different materials. When a M-ARC Disc is written, the
M-Writer Drive actually etches digital data into an rock-like data
layer creating a permanent physical change. The patented “optical
stack” of the Millennial Disc is made of materials known to last for
centuries and digital marks associated with this innovative process
involve material changes in the write layer that cannot be undone. Once
the disc has been written, its data is literally “etched in stone.”

The Millennial Disc is manufactured in DVD format. This unique platform
has a capacity of 4.7 gigabytes and can only be written by the
Millennial Writer. However, once written, it is backward compatible
with any DVD reader available today. These materials are rock-like in
nature and require a higher energy laser to make a physical change in
the recording layer. Normal DVDs only require a lower-energy laser to
make chemical changes on its dye layer. These chemical changes fade and
degrade over time, rendering the disc unreadable. The M-ARC Disc does
not use a dye layer. Instead, the recording layer consists of hard
persistent materials that can only be etched into with a higher energy
laser.

Please let me know if you would like any more information. The
promotional pricing for the starter kit ($1,495) includes the M-Writer
and 25 M-ARC Discs. This is truly a great price considering the cost of
the M-Writer.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Trent Hope