Re: [OM] Wish to entry large format field

Subject: Re: [OM] Wish to entry large format field
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:32:25 -0600

> ......and what's more it's not truck mounted and you'll only need a small
> SUV to move around from one photo shoot to another ..:-))

Actually, the Crown Graphic is remarkably lightweight and compact. When
folded up, it's a very robust box with everything protected inside.

The beauty of the Crown Graphic is that it can be used as a point-and-shoot
without ever needing to look at the ground-glass, or as slow-poke as any
anal-retentive photographer could ever want to work. Handheld or tripod.

That all said, I'm really wanting one of those Tachihara 4x5 field cameras.
Those things fold up tiny and are really lightweight while still giving
easier to use movements than the Crown.

The RF of the Crown Graphic has a really nifty feature. It is designed to
allow the projection of light through the rangefinder in dark conditions.
Some of the later versions even had a built-in lightbulb and battery, but
the others had a sliding gate that allows you to actually use a penlight.
With the light on, you have two dots projected onto your subject. Just
adjust focus until the two dots meet. If the dots are lined up, the subject
is in focus.  It really does work extremely well.

AG