Re: [OM] Wish to entry large format field

Subject: Re: [OM] Wish to entry large format field
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:05:14 -0600
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> The accepted lag is 7 seconds and works well. I use it so that I'm not
> tempted to get into bidding wars - and because for me here, many
> interesting auctions end at inconvenient times.
> However a friend just missed out on a nice Widelux because he bid a
> whole number - he put in $1200 and so did someone else - the other guy
> got it because his bid got in first. People tend to set their limit at
> a clear threshold so I never bid a whole number but go one increment
> above it - $101.50 or something like that. I've won a number of
> auctions by that 50¢ - I've also lost when I had a higher bid but not
> higher by one increment point.

Exactly.  I never bid an even amount.  I always look at the even amount
and bump it up by $1.86 or something.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard