Re: [OM] (OM) OT A-Data USB Flash drive

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT A-Data USB Flash drive
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 02:34:58 -0000
Hi Brian,

Sorry for the late response - been a bit frantic of late.

I've had exactly this happen on one of my USB drives as well.
Absolutely no idea why, but removing it (using the correct "safely
remove hardware" function) and then re-inserting it brought it back fine
(with the usual "autoplay" function where it asks me what I want to do
with the files on the usb - I always choose cancel and then navigate to
the drive using Windows Explorer).

To be safe, best to back up.  This experience certainly made it clear
for me.  I only ever use USB drives as a transport medium - the
originals are always somewhere safe(r).  Normally a HDD with an offsite
backup.

If anyone starts to tell me about corruption and the possibility of
losing all my data on both my HDD and the offsite backup drive I will
put my fingers in my ears and sing "la la la la la" until they go away.
I am too scared by that particular scenario to face it.  Maybe one day I
will try to figure out how to safeguard against every scenario, but for
the moment life's too short !  We have a client at work who is forever
banging on about "single point of failure".  Yes, we should strive to
eliminate as many of these as is practical.  But there comes a point
where all you are doing is moving the SPF further up the chain - and
with each step the solution to the SPF gets exponentially more
expensive.

Anyway, I digress ...

Jon