Re: [OM] Digital vs. Film, Round 10203030330...

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital vs. Film, Round 10203030330...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:30:29 -0500
I think it relates to AG's claim of increased color depth at the expense
of dynamic range.  There are only so many bits to go around in a 16 bit
representation.  If more bits are used to represent a greater range of
colors then fewer bits are available to represent the brightness range
of those colors.  If the additional colors represented are not
meaningful to you (that it you can't see or print them) then they are
wasting bits better applied to dynamic range.

Chuck Norcutt