Re: [OM] VueScan & IT-8, was: [IMG] last spring blossoms

Subject: Re: [OM] VueScan & IT-8, was: [IMG] last spring blossoms
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:29:21 +0100
Hi Fernando and all,

From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>So far, all I will say is that I'm about to trash NikonScan, 'though I'm
>not completely satisfied with VueScan either.

As already pointed out, you'd better keep both -- sometimes one could
perform better than the other.

I was interested in VueScan, but seems useless for astropics... at least, I
couldn't manage to control the exposure manually -- it automatically tries
to brighten such dark slides, getting rid of many interesting details. I
have looked at the manual, even from the most recent version, and the only
manual exposure adjust I could find is to _increase_ contrast from what the
automatic decides... Is there an actual way to expose _fully_ manually with
it?

>Is it that I _must_ have an IT-8 !? Fine for VueScan, but NikonScan
>doesn't seem to ask for one ... :-(

Speaking of IT-8's... I have shot my test card with the GF-1:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4160484941/>

What are the expected values for each patch? If I shoot this on film, I
presume VueScan could make a profile for the film+scanner combo but is there
any (OS X) utility to profile my GF-1?

BTW, I've found this <http://www.flickr.com/photos/phiznlil/3515705058/>
which has some blue/cyan patches much brighter/saturated, especially H-12
(and I-8). Well, the whole 8 & 12 columns look much more saturated than mine
:-(

>Tripod mounted Zuiko 300mm ?/4,5 @ ?/8

Oh, please, stop using that "pedantic" cursive f's... we digesters have a
really hard time reading them :-) :-) :-) :-)

><http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/4167119255/>

Anyway, it's a very nice picture, with very well balanced colour content --
not only technically, but composition-wise.
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)