Re: [OM] Where's Moosie? [was G11 review [was Before you go, Moose ...]

Subject: Re: [OM] Where's Moosie? [was G11 review [was Before you go, Moose ...]]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:12:49 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> You and the camera did very well

Thanks, although processing played a big part, as well.

> but I still would have dragged the shutter.

No argument. Undoubtedly you would have :-) .

> It would have improved the majority of the shots and not made much difference
> to others.

Here I may differ. You are looking at processed shots with an "artistic"
or "whatever" intent on my part. The majority of the portrait shots have
had the background reduced in brightness to reduce distracting elements
and quite a few have had the immediate foreground reduced to balance
with the primary subjects. These shots were taken and processed for the
enjoyment of those there, and so focus on their subjects.

There are people wandering around and/or relatively bright lights in
many backgrounds. Most include a combination of pulling down backgrounds
and pulling up subjects. Remember, I had flash EV at -2/3 to avoid
blowing out close things.

Heavy highlight suppression has also been applied in a several cases and
a couple of bright elements simply cloned out. I can't see how slow-sync
wouldn't have worked against this esthetic for those shots.

See those several hands reaching toward the camera, generally holding
wine glasses? Mostly, they have been masked and separately brought down
to match in tonal quality the people to which they belong. Only possible
with realistic skin tones because of the lowered flash EV. In a few
shots with people at different distances, three "planes" have been
separated and adjusted to more or less match.

So any conclusions about how the flash system itself worked taken from
the images presented are likely to be incorrect. There are certainly a
few shots that would have benefited from dragging the shutter, but
actually, as far as I can see, only a handful. Again, most of the wide
shots included people moving rather vigorously, so 1/60 was a pretty
good shutter speed.

Another thing going on in the higher ISO shots is differential noise
reduction, with different settings in different parts of the images.

Moose