Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT Windows XP PC question

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT Windows XP PC question
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 02:08:18 +1300
Thanks for all your advice.

I'll follow up when I have enough time.

The activity that bothers me is sustained downloads, and it seems to pick up
and continue where it left off last time.  I can tell when and how much is
going on by clicking on the two-blue-squares in the task(?) bar and the
display gives a more-or-less instantaneous read-out of bits/bytes coming in
plus current connection duration.

I don't think it any printer reporting. My main printer is my trusty HP Laser-
Jet 5L, bought in 1995 for the now-astounding sum of $1,000 NZ. Black
fused powder that is waterproof, 600 dpi. Great little machine, but afaik it
doesn't report anything to anybody except through print quality and
green/orange lights on its front..
I do also have an HP desk-jet + scanner which is mostly disconnected as I
don't need colour printing 99% of the time, and do very little flat-bed
scanning now..

Yes, I have also wondered why the computer frequently shows disk activity,
when really there seems to be no reason why. Sometimes it goes on for
many seconds.

Brian Swale.