Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT Windows XP PC question

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT Windows XP PC question
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 08:53:29 -0600
On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, I have also wondered why the computer frequently shows disk activity,
> when really there seems to be no reason why. Sometimes it goes on for
> many seconds.

I tend to watch most activity using the already-mentioned Zone Alarm,
and the most frequent items that ask for access are Apple's Bonjour
service, Java, and AVG, which all seem to want to phone home.  This is
appropriate for those services, so no problems.  There is a free
utility called Startup Inspector which allows you to tweak your
startup folder stuff.  I still use it on the family computer (which I
don't monitor very much), though I prefer just to evaluate requests on
the computers I use a lot by letting Zone Alarm do its thing.

AVG 9.0 appears to be quite active.  I assume most virus checkers are.
 I also notice when there is disk activity that the ZA icon is active,
and as long as I see that, I don't worry as I do allow known good guys
to phone home to check for updates, etc.

Joel W.