Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT Windows XP PC question

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT Windows XP PC question
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 01:05:22 +1300
It's interesting how people's experiences on computers vary so much.

Having only 1.25 GB free on my (total) 40 GB HDD doesn't slow it down
noticeably for the things I do.  It is quite possible though that I avoid some
programs because it doesn't have much RAM. Aida32 reports only 512 MB
SDRAM, and that's more than it had when I bought it 2nd hand.

It had Nortons anti-virus on it when I bought it, and it was SO slow; much
slower than my old w'95 266MHZ machine. I suspect that's why it was sold
on auction. I got rid of Nortons and never regretted that.

Winpatrol is a very informative program, very fast because it is now written
in Assembly language. And it's one quarter of the size it was 18 months ago.

I still have to figure out how to use it and Wireshark; the latter is
unbelievably complex and informative.

Now, somewhat to my chagrin, the downloading that sparked off my enquiry
seems to have come to an end. Bother; but really a blessing in disguise
(maybe - since I don't know WHY), as I still have too much to do without that

Brian Swale.