Re: [OM] shutter speed

Subject: Re: [OM] shutter speed
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:59:14 -0700
This is basically what I do for a living at Los Alamos National
Laboratory, except that the .22 bullet is usually a chunk of
explosives and the flash is a large proton accelerator :-)  The method
you mention works because the delay between triggering the flash and
the flash actually firing is quite small, certainly much less than a
millisecond and probably in the 10's of microseconds.  It doesn't work
to trigger a mechanical shutter as in the original picture because the
camera takes too long.

I find it interesting that we also try to do essentially what is in
the original photo - take radiographs of a gun projectile exiting the
barrel and striking a target.  Our difficulty doing this is not that
the camera takes too long to fire but the opposite.  The gun takes so
much longer to fire than our usual experiments and there is too much
variability in the timing of the gun itself that it is hard to
synchronize the radiographs.

Mark