[OM] Panasonic RW2 files, was Re: One bid wonder

Subject: [OM] Panasonic RW2 files, was Re: One bid wonder
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:57:02 +0000
I know, Nathan.  But I  don't use LR, or CS4, so I don't have access to the
latest ACR to convert RW2 files.  It appears that the latest Panasonic RAW
files have a fair amount of aberration adjustment to carry out and the
parameters have not been taken up by Apple for use in Aperture, iPhoto or OSX
system files.  You will find that you cannot open RW2 files with any
system-related applications; nor is a preview available in Finder.

But I don't like LR and I have no intention of upgrading to CS4 since CS3 does
all that I need.  It therefore changes my workflow if I want to use RW2 files:
I have to convert using another programme like Silkypix or LightZone then
import the resulting TIFF files to Aperture.  All my other files can be
imported direct to Aperture.

Converting to DNG is an option, but not an elegant one; and LX3 files triple in
size once converted.  Even then, Mac applications will not open a DNG that
results from converting a RW2 file.

Of course, this is a Mac-specific snag, but I am hoping that the next version
of Aperture will use a different approach.  In the meantime, it affects my
decision as to whether to buy another Panasonic camera or not.

Chris