Re: [OM] One bid wonder

Subject: Re: [OM] One bid wonder
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:58:41 -0600
On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since I'm now bound by the "Oath of the Turned-Over Leaf" I'm no longer
> going to deride any cameras or even reviews of cameras. DeepPee's reviews
> are wonderful, glorious and most accurate. If they say a camera stinks, then
> it MUST be odious.  I've discovered that I'm wrong on so many levels about
> cameras and camera design that it's best for me to just agree with others
> and be done with it.

Heh.  Fat chance. ;^)

> All that said, the ONLY E-thingy that has come and gone which I even have
> even the remotest interest in is the E-330. That Live View A-Mode is why.
> Oh, and the fact that it has among the best color characteristics of all but
> the E-1.

You can kind of do sneaky street photography with the 410 and other LV
B bodies, but LV A is stealth itself.

I think you'd also like the fact that the AA filter is less strong
than the E-1's.  Very easy to oversharpen.  I found it important to
use LV B with the DZ 50-200 because I couldn't always be certain what
it was focusing on.  Therefore, you have to drag a tripod along to do
landscapes etc. -- something I rarely do now with the E-3.  The 50-200
would sour you a bit on the E-1 too, which is worse at focusing the
50-200 than the 330.  The E-3 makes the 50-200 work as intended.
(Mine is the old version of the lens ...)

In direct comparison, the E-1 and E-3 are -- to my eyes -- very, very
close.  The E-3 is a tiny bit hotter in the highlights, but color is
ever so close.  They are hard to compare in that the E-1 has
saturation/color balance presets that don't have an exact counterpart
on the E-3.  I think CS1-2 and the preset for skin tones is the most
neutral on the E-1.  What do you think?

Joel W.