Re: [OM] Why you should never point your 250/2.0 into the sun

Subject: Re: [OM] Why you should never point your 250/2.0 into the sun
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:28:30 -0500
Based on reports I have heard regarding telescopes pointed into the sun
I suspect that that an SLR (assuming focus at infinity) would first see
the focusing screen melted followed by cracking and/or separation of the
eyepiece behind the pentaprism.  Telescopes eyepieces with elements
tightly constrained within metal cells may explode with some vigor due
to thermal expansion.

Chuck Norcutt