Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 + Zuiko 40 F2

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 + Zuiko 40 F2
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:09:42 -0600
I think the answer to Chuck's question is to stick the zoom on 70mm (or
equivalent) and try shooting it for a while. 70mm and 135mm just kinda fall
outside the norm by being simultaneously too long and too short.

As a "long-normal" focal length, it's got the disadvantage of needing a
faster shutter speed which either drives you to a higher ISO setting or a
wider aperture. It's a full-stop disadvantage as compared to a 35-40mm focal
length.

As a "short-telephoto" focal length, it doesn't offer some of the artistic
benefits of a longer focal length, such as DoF, bokeh and selective
background isolation.

This isn't a dis' of 70mm focal length, but just my own personal
observations. I'm sure there are two or three people on this list who will
refute me by saying that they experience non of my observations and they use
70mm focal length all the time.

AG