[OM] ( OM ) Christmas dinner

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Christmas dinner
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 03:33:25 +1300
It's interesting to observe the different customs there are around the globe,
even in English - speaking countries.

Where I am right now, different from what I am used to for Christmas, we
went to the son of my G/F about 30 km away.  No photos of the main course
and I'm unsure if I'll upload shots of the dessert course.

But here's what we had; and it was outside under a warm overcast sky. Kids
& all seated around a glass-topped table.

Meat: BBQ rotisseried chicken and also a roll of mutton. Done to perfection;
cooked right through.  Not the slightest sign of charcoal /  carbon :-))
Sliced cold ham.
Greens; fresh green peas, mesclun mixed greens salad.
Potatoes; gently boiled fresh small potatoes, Agria variety (the best).
Hot Colemans mustard, cool French mustard, a variety of dressings for the
salad.
Beetroot.
Grilled garlic,
oven-roasted potatoes, carrots, parsnips, kumera, onions

And I brought a NSW OZ Shiraz/viognier wine I had never tried before and it
was intensely tasty.

The main part of the dessert was a trifle (sponge cake (sherry-soaked) with
raspberry jelly poured over and allowed to set in the fridge) covered in fresh
cherries, raspberries, strawberries and other fruits, and custard poured over)
with several kinds of ice-cream and also whipped cream. + other
embellishments I don't remember (and since I was the sober driver I had
only two v. small glasses of wine)

An afternoon nap was quite in order after that lot!

Brian Swale.