[OM] OT - new monitor setup

Subject: [OM] OT - new monitor setup
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:46:45 -0600
I picked up a Samsung 2350 monitor yesterday and would appreciate some
advice. In case you're wondering why I got a 23" monitor -- the
physical width of the monitor fits the current enclosure of my working
space, whereas a 24" most likely would not.

First question:  I continue to get an error message at startup from
the monitor indicating my setup is not optimum.  The message is a very
dumb one.  It indicates that the connection is Analog (rather than
digital -- my video card does not have DVI outputs) and it indicates
the optimum resolution.  I have the display settings at the optimum
resolution, so I conclude that it is mad at me because my video card
won't allow the DVI output.  Would this seem to be correct reasoning?

Should I be upgrading my video card?

Second question:  Faststone Viewer.  I can't seem to find a setting
that prevents some stretching of verticals.  I would like it to hold
verticals, obviously, to an exact 4:3 ratio.  It seems to want to make
them a wee bit wider than they should be.  Horizontals seem fine.
Anybody run into this before?

I will check Samsung and Faststone sites for FAQs but thought I would
shoot something to the list in the event that there is a quick and
easy answer.

Thanks in advance,
Joel W.