Re: [OM] Santa brought me the Fuji F70

Subject: Re: [OM] Santa brought me the Fuji F70
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:33:25 -0600
Moose wrote:
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> Excellent.  Especially for a P&S camera whose breed are supposedly slow on
>> the draw.
>>

> You might or might not come to the same conclusion. The other Jeff
> Keller says "It takes about 2.2 seconds for the FinePix F70EXR to extend
> its lens and prepare for shooting, which is on the slow side."
>
> Many things are relative?
>
> It's certainly fast at start-up compared to many older P&Ss, maybe even
> "insanely fast", but slower than its class. My G11 (different class) is
> about a second faster, and although generally fast enough, certainly not
> instant when in the occasional  hurry to catch a shot. Not even in the
> same ball park as a DSLR that can start-up, focus and capture an image
> in 1/4 sec. or so. Considering the sloth of the body's speed in getting
> it pointed, the 5D has no lag from off to shot taken.

I guess I should clarify - I really mean compared to others in its
class.  Over the last couple of years I've handled and shot probably 200
different P&S's working at the convention, and this one definitely wakes
up in a prompt fashion.  Very low shutter lag - I've shot some where you
press the button, go out for beer and pizza, and then come back just in
time to hear the shutter fire.

I'm sure if I had gone to the next price tier, I could have gotten much
faster, but didn't want to make the jump to the $350-and-up range for a
secondary pocket camera.  My E-1 is definitely faster.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard