Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 02:05:16 +0800
The Dell 24" is $474 free shipping here and the HP does not mention if it
has factory sRGB and aRGB calibration.

For DVI vs VGA port, many people just say "you will see the difference" but
they can never mention what is the difference. I have some experience to
share, it will solve the mystery.

It starts with the VGA nature, it is analogue, the data signal can be
distorted when it go through the circuit. The higher the number of pixels or
screen refresh rate the higher the data frequency, the high the frequency
the more the trouble.

The circuit including cables, filters and amplifiers, in the cases I have
seen the major problem were created by the FCC filters on the VGA board,
they were compose of inductor and capacitor. The issue they created are soft
image mainly seen on the text characters. I found the problem on a VGA board
and an Intel mother board with display port built-in. I removed the FCC
filters on the RGB channels then problem solved. At the same time I found
some LCDs are more affected by this issue then the others.

VGA cable usually will not cause problem as long as they are not too long
but my 30 feet VGA cable to my projector do create some problem. There seems
to be overshot lead to white edges on the text characters but it is very
minor, I can only see it when I view from 2 feet to the projection screen.

Since DVI is digital signal, the above problems do not exist.

C.H.Ling