Re: [OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:17:59 -0600
On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for that intervention and explanation, Joel.

Not at all, chum.

> It wasn't meant to read as an arrogant, throwaway line. and I'm sorry that it
> did.  The <whisper> was intended to ameliorate it, but I suppose that that
> didn't recognise that there was a real problem that you were trying to deal
> with.

Understood.

> I suppose it seems to "us"(Mac users) that the solution to a problem is not
> so difficult as the "change of platform" (to a Mac) description would seem.
>  Moose is a programmer and would not want to use another system even if he
> didn't love Vista; but for an ordinary user like me, and you (I suspect) a
> change of platform seems pretty simple.  We all did change a few years ago
> when OSX came out.  There are now more common features than uncommon, I think.

Clearly true.  I see more and more that people in our IT environment
work with both platforms, usually reserving Apples for their personal
use.  That tells me something.  I notice broad penetration of Apple
laptops/notebooks among students -- folks for whom it is their main
computer and it is both useful and stylish, an extension of their iPod
idolatry, if you will, in many cases I'll wager.  It used to be that
many people found their way to Apple because they were not really
interested in learning to use computers in take-charge fashion. I am
not attracted to that crowd.  But there were always exceptions to that
and now certainly all types use all types of computers.  There are too
many people whom I respect (many who know more about computers than I
do) who use or prefer Macs for me to suppose that what I prefer is
better merely because I prefer it.

Nevertheless, I agree with the content of Moose's diatribe (which I
think was more in response to AF's drive-by, incendiary mortars than
to yours).  Dell has been good enough for the likes of me.  Mine get
"rode hard and put away wet" and they always boot up.  I like my PCs
very much.  They are part of the good things about life.

All the best,
Joel W.