Re: [OM] OT Ricoh, was Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Ricoh, was Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:31:43 +1100

On 01/01/2010, at 2:36 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

>  It's a similar problem with cars and aircraft controls: what makes
> for the most effective use of a control.

Yes, the ring on the A12 lens unit is well damped and there is a
change in resistance after you hit the end of adjustment but there's
no stop. Consequently, on several occasions, I found myself trying to
get focus when I was too close and just winding, winding.
But the most wearying was the constant hunting right through the range
and the frequent missing of the focus point. I tried several of the
focussing options - it has a nice targetting method, for instance, but
I couldn't find any way to speed it up. It was utterly unable to focus
on the heart of a rose, for instance - insufficient contrast. It made
that 33mm unit useless as a general purpose lens. The results from it
in trms of image quality are really excellent for the few frames when
you can get it right.
I'm using the DZ 25mm on the E-P2 at the moment and it's a wholly
different story. I'll test it with the Panasonic 20mm next week and
see if I want to go that extra expense.

> But you didn't mention Macs once ...

Now you're just being naughty. You must come to terms with the fact
that you aren't allowed to strafe people any more! :-)

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx