Re: [OM] Speaking of birds and feeders

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of birds and feeders
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 19:34:02 -0800
Russ Butler wrote:

> Ah the bird feeders and the squirrels. A many year battle that I finally won.
>
> Step 1: clothes line with pulleys between the deck and a tree, feeders hung
> from it. Failed. The squirrels learned to tight rope walk fairly quickly.
> Made fun targets for a bb gun though :-)

A classic that always fails. I've even seen a video, pre-youtube;
probably lots now.

> Step 2: try various "squirrel proof" feeders still hung from the line.
> Finally scored with this one:
> http://www.duncraft.com/Squirrel-Blocker-Bird-Feeder-1000-OFF-P1074C0.aspx
> Still use the clothes line deal though.

The problem with that type for me is the many larger birds I feed.
Band-Tailed Pigeons, Mourning Doves and a couple of kinds of Jays. There
are also various designs where the weight of the squirrel closes off the
seed.

But I really like the cheap feeders I use. Unlike the fancy models, they
do not loose feeding stations at the top as the seed runs down. With
flocks of birds like the goldfinches, all twelve stations may be
occupied as other birds wait.

It's such a treat to watch.

> Haven't figured out how to stop the bears.

You appear to have posted links to you local HD, which work for you, but
not for us.  :-)   I recognize it because I've done it.

Moose