[OM] Shootin' Eight Miles High [was Santa brought me the Fuji F70]

Subject: [OM] Shootin' Eight Miles High [was Santa brought me the Fuji F70]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:22:34 -0800
Paul Braun wrote:
> ...  We are flying to Phoenix/Scottsdale on the 9th, and I'm taking the E-1
> and the new toy ...

Take it on the plane and get a window seat.

I spent much of my work life looking at aerial photos, even had an ex
WWII photo-interpreter working for me for a while. The interest in the
view from above has never weakened. Aisle seats may be more convenient,
but I always want a window.

I am endlessly fascinated with the forms of land and water, such beauty
and endless variation. On our Fall trip to the NE, I was lucky, no
serious cloud cover until halfway across PA. The return didn't clear up
until the West, but presented a different selection than the trip out.

I've often taken pics out the window, especially since digital lowered
the costs of duds. With the A650's articulated LCD, it's MUCH easier to
get the right camera angle and still see to frame. Here's the first
batch.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Misc/8mileshigh/IMG_1473.htm>

I find many of the images very striking, especially the early ones,
where the low sun does magic things with color and texture.

You might say "My airplane window shots never look like that." These
might be called examples of extreme processing. Up to eight miles of air
to shoot through does present some challenges. :-)

This is shot from only maybe 4,000', but the sun is below he horizon for
this flat, sea level land and there is a lot of moisture in the air.
<cid:part1.02070304.07040507@gmail.com>

Out in the empty lands, there is often no reference for color at all,
maybe snow in a couple. Even clouds aren't reliable. They are far enough
above the ground that they don't have the same color balance. The few
paved roads may help and snow in a couple was useful, but I have to
admit colors in some are mostly guess work. Still, nobody knows any
better, what with the sunlight constantly changing as it rises and
nobody down there taking comparisons on the ground.

I like the abstract appearance of much Western landscape from above.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Misc/8mileshigh/IMG_1502.htm>

I may have gone overboard here, but I like the abstract "look"
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Misc/8mileshigh/IMG_1507.htm>
Hmmm, maybe it needs a green/magenta gradient treatment.

I've had a lot of fun with this and the G11 will be with me on the next
flights.

> My one complaint so far, and this is common with most tiny digital P&S's, is
> that they insist on putting the flash on the shutter-button side, right where
> your fingers are when gripping the camera.

That's odd, they had it right on earlier F series models.

Sky High Moose

Moose