Re: [OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] Mac BS [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 22:33:25 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Well, didn't really see much of that but every time someone even mentions Mac
> it seems to trigger the astonishing rant that was the rest of your message.

Glad I can still astonish. ;-)

It's sort of like poking a bear with a stick. if it's busy with
something else, it may pay no attention for quite a few pokes. But when
it turns on you for one little poke, it remembers all the prior ones.

> Of course, what we have here is a paradigm problem - we'll never see it from
> each other's point of view. You see any suggestion that a Mac handles things
> like colour better

Don't know. I'd have to see them side by side.

>   as dangerous piffle

not dangerous

> and I sit here bewildered by the detailed conversations of PC users on issues
> I've never had to consider, don't want to consider and just don't worry about
> anyway.

Windoze users outnumber Macs what, about 8 to one? That automatically
means 8 times as many PC people with color issues, even if the systems
were equal. We have had a couple of listees who use PCs get pretty
twisted around about colors lately, I'll admit, but those have been
mostly app and peripheral issues, as it has shaken out. If you use your
scanner and software wrong, you can get bad color on any system.

With all the best software and the major PC browsers color aware, what
used to be a relative weakness should cease to be an issue.

Just out of curiousity, do Macs and OS X support SCSI anymore? My old
scanner is happily running on a PC under Vista. I'd hate to have to go
down to USB 1.0 speeds. But I'm sure my SCSI card will work fine in my
next machine and Win7 will drive the scanner.

> This seems to be one issue when you arc up very quickly and I'm sorry about
> that.

As I said above, it's the Chinese water torture. Nobody ever urges other
listees to switch from Macs, but some Mac users just can't seem to
resist putting in the occasional jab.

You might say that's because PC users know they are inferior and keep
their mouths shut out of shame. I might suggest that Mac users who
constantly need to be trying to convert others are reacting out of a
sense of inferiority. Banty Rooster complex, anyone?

> Like I said - I don't get it.

Nor do I. Why can't the Macs just rest in smug peace and let the rest of
use enjoy our inferiority in peace?

Moose