Re: [OM] OT - Help with GPS navigation on Nokia N82

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Help with GPS navigation on Nokia N82
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 17:04:59 +1030
On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 05:22:01PM -0000, David Bell wrote:
>  Awaiting receiving a Nokia N82 phone with GPS. I would like to have Turn by
> Turn navigation installed on it without requiring an internet connection or
> data tariff. I do not mind that the maps are a little out of date as I would
> use it only infrequently.
>
> Advice appreciated - maps would be UK and ROI only. Is there such a thing As
> a free system or are they all typically subscription based?

Hi Dave

With the N95 (it appears to be the same for the N82) the Nokia Maps
application (now called OviMaps) and the maps can be freely downloaded
from Nokia using your computer. The PcSuite map loader can be used to
install them to the phone from your computer. The maps can then be used
a little like a street directory to find a destination, and the GPS can
show your current position on the map. Updated maps are made available
from time to time for download.

The way I understand it is that the turn-by-turn voice guided navigation
routing/re-routing feature is the bit that requires the phone to have an
internet connection. The navigation application phones home (via the
phone's 2G/3G/GPRS internet connection) with current location & required
destination. The service returns the routing information in response, &
all of this data usage attracts costs. There are subscription-based
services like the native Ovi service, or free services like the Nav4All
or amazegps.

Looks like the OviMaps app does some local navigation work, as I can get
it to start, but then it wants to go online, & it falls back to 'map
mode' when I hit 'no'.

The alternative is a dedicated GPS navigator, but these come with their
own set of problems, the worst of which is that the maps are out of date
the moment you buy the unit (mine had a 'latest map' guarantee, but even
that is now over 12 months out of date!), & map updates are often more
expensive than a new unit.

davidt