Re: [OM] Strobist: New NiZn Batteries Offer Lightning Fast Recycle

Subject: Re: [OM] Strobist: New NiZn Batteries Offer Lightning Fast Recycle
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:11:21 -0600

> Full dump recycle time on a T-45 is 2.2 seconds.  The Nikon SB-900 was
> recycling in 2 seconds (watch the timer on the video) so it was running
> faster not "almost as fast".

At first!  I did notice that it did slow down a little bit through the
video.

In looking at the voltage increase, I'm wondering about running THREE
batteries with a filler-slug in the fourth chamber. That would get the
voltage back down where the flash is expecting, but the current throughput
of the battery should still be pretty good.

However, the times of recycling lifespan of these batteries is pretty
pathetic. When I rebuilt the battery pack in the T45, I contemplated going
to NiMH instead of the NiCad cells per original design. The NiCads won out
for several reasons:

1. Charger compatibility--I would have needed to do a custom charger
2. Current throughput--NiCads have extremely low internal resistance
3. Max number of cycles--NiCads can be recharged many more times than NiMH
4. NiMH cells do not tolerate high current as well and will deteriorate
rapidly under load

In looking at the mAh ratings between cells, I was tempted to go with the
NiMH, but found that those ratings were based on a very precise load
(current draw), but when used in high-current environments (like the T45
flash), the mAh ended up being about the same, if not slightly less, than
the NiCads. NiCads are the best drycell battery for high-current usages and
repeated cyclings. As long as you regulate the charge, they last a LONG
time.

My Quantum Turbo pack clone will recycle any flash I have in about 1-1/2
> seconds but I would never attempt to fire it 13 times in rapid
> succession and have never needed to.  I would say the max is maybe 6-8
> shots in rapid succession at 1/2 or 1/4 power during the Hora at a
> Bar/Bat Mitzvah.  It's not acceptable to miss the kid while he/she is
> looking at you while up in the chair and  being spun around.  But that
> much is not a stress on the flash.

I've never photographed a Bar/Bat Mitzvah, but have plenty of experience
with weddings and event photography. Like I mentioned before, I really
haven't considered myself to be a heavy flash user, but I guess I really am.
I'm using light modifiers (usually Omni/Ultra-Bounce like devices) so that
means I'm having to really lean on the flash. Direct flash is a no-brainer
and 1/4 power is pretty normal and even with NiMH cells in the Vivitar 285HV
flashes, I get 2-second recycle times consistently. With the modifiers, I'm
needing to really amp up the power. The T45, when bounced is going
full-tilt.

During a wedding, there are several times I really lean on the flash:
Processional, The Kiss, Recessional and First Dance. With modifiers, I'm
doing full-dumps and in quite rapid succession. The T45 gives me two full
dumps within a second and then the third needs to wait about two. During the
Processional/Recessional, I take no less than three shots of each coming
down the aisle. If there are 5 sets of attendants, that's nearly 20 flashes
within a minute on the recessional which is following "The Kiss" by not too
many moments. Then I immediately turn around and get pictures of the scrum
in the hallway. Within three minutes, it would not be out of the question
for me to have taken 40-50 pictures--most of which are 1/2 to full power as
I'm bouncing off the ceiling. When shooting with the Vivitars at 1/4 to 1/2
power, I almost always get a nice burning smell going on.

I've toasted ONE Vivitar flash through the years, but that came after doing
about 70 full-dump exposures in around 20 minutes. I was photographing
people as they came through the door to a party. It was a lower-class flash
than the 283/285 level, though.

This past spring, I shot one event where I ended up bouncing the flash off a
15m ceiling during the post-event happenings. Again, these were full-dumps
and I did dozens within a couple of minutes. The T45 was just loping along,
taking it in stride.

I forgot how I did it, but ONE time, I did get the thermal warning light on
the T45, so I know it is working.

Maybe I need a D3s so I can back off the flash--I guess I am baaad.

AG