Re: [OM] Images: Do these look right to you

Subject: Re: [OM] Images: Do these look right to you
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:29:44 -0600
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joel wrote
>> I have thrown together a little gallery of photos from last fall,
>> mainly of seasonal colors.  I hope there is some reward in having a
>> look, because I need a little reality check.
>>
>> These photos were all shot with E-410 and one or the other of the two kit
>> lenses.
>
> There's a consistency of saturation with these shots that is a bit unusual;
> but
> I did enjoy the depiction of the landscape where you live.

Brian, I'm sure you mean to be helpful and yet I can derive nothing as
to what you are actually seeing from your statement.  (I am glad you
enjoyed some of the photos though.)  If you'd care to explain what you
mean by an "unusual consistency," I'd be interested.

> I wondered how you managed to prevent the side-lit leaves in _A194376
> from getting blown-out.

As the camera was pointed, there was probably more risk of
underexposure than over.  I also tend to shoot normally with at least
-.3 exposure comp and chimp for blown highlights.  I think I only took
one exposure, so I don't believe it was a difficult exposure in any
special way.

> Also, the file size for the roses shot was SO much
> smaller than for your landscape shots (one about 1 MB, another not much
> less), I wondered if it could benefit from being a larger file. You could
> effectively sharpen it a bit more then.

No images were that large.  I did have a couple that were too small
though (about 75K).  In Jalbum, I set it to 100% jpg but didn't ask it
to link to the actual files.  I've redone the gallery linking to the
originals FWIW, but I think there is no difference.

I did little sharpening on these photos and don't feel like the 410
warrants much additional, but I'll take a look again at the rose.  The
photo seems like a bit of a near miss to me.  I made several attempts
at a composition and liked this best, but in the end I just don't like
it all that much.

> Thanks for the experiences.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Joel W.