Re: [OM] Fre image recovery software from Lexar

Subject: Re: [OM] Fre image recovery software from Lexar
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 13:58:15 +1100

> Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> What for you use so many? Do you know how they persuade them to fail?

We use them in ruggedized (sp?) Pocket PCs that are used by our drivers and
some "yardies".

In the trucks they sit in a "cradle" attached to the dashboard for charging and
comms, I think a major problem is vibration.

The major cause of the Pocket PCs failing seems to be files "disappearing" from
the SD cards, most of the time we reformat the card, reinstall the files and
everything is ok (for a while) but fairly often a card will refuse to be
reformatted.

One of our software developers says that the Windows Mobile operating system is
"flakey" because it's a cut down version of full windows and (he believes) is
not as reliable.

> And if you want to buy bulk Sandisk - I have a local source!
> That friend told me recently of a market for low capacity CF cards -
> really low. He sold a box full of 32mB and smaller to a sewing club.

I have a box full of 32MB SD cards if you have the sewing machine !

> Apparently they have machines that store embroidery patterns on CF's
> and they hate large cards because the machine searches the whole card
> before starting. It occurs to me that small capacity 1gig and smaller
> cards can be quite handy for things like digital picture frame
> collections/sets and they're getting hard to find.

Yeah, the smallest SD cards I can get from our normal supplier are 2GB,
fortunately that is not a problem for our software.

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com