Re: [OM] Have I mentioned lately?

Subject: Re: [OM] Have I mentioned lately?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 15:37:17 -0500
I shoot the way I do because I think it's easier.  Shooting manually
with a set aperture and varying the shutter speed as required is not
very different from shooting in aperture preferred mode and varying the
shutter speed with the auto exposure adjustment.  The reason I find
manual mode easier is that the only controls required are the shutter
speed and aperture wheels which are both handy at thumb and index finger
and the meanings of those two controls never changes in manual mode.

On a Canon in manual mode the front control dial is shutter speed and
the rear wheel is aperture.  When you switch into AV or TV modes the
front wheel becomes the control for aperture in AV mode and for shutter
speed in TV mode.  The rear wheel then becomes the auto exposure
adjustment affecting either shutter speed or aperture depending on mode.
  I find this very confusing since, if I do shoot in AV mode, all of a
sudden the aperture control moves from the rear dial to the front.  I
just find it much simpler to stay in manual mode at all times.  I am
also assured that the camera does not change exposure just because I
make a minor change in where I'm pointing the camera.

Chuck Norcutt