Re: [OM] Some snow in England

Subject: Re: [OM] Some snow in England
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:26:40 +0000
Thanks, Russ.

RAF squadrons used to deploy to a base called Goose Bay in Canada, a place that
is the same latitude as Lincoln in England.  The temperature in Goose Bay can
get down below MS 60 C (including wind chill) , apparently, whereas for Lincoln
it will normally go no lower than MS 5-10 C.  Indeed, most of Goose Bay is
covered by a network of tunnels to save personnel from having to face the cold.
 The aircraft hangars were very large and kept warm; the engineers used to say
that it cost several thousand USD to open the hangar doors to let an aircraft
out or in.

And it's all because of the maritime climate we enjoy, kept moderate by the
Gulf Stream, as compared with the continental climate you have on your, err,
continent :-).  Germany and Poland are colder than the UK for the same reasons.

Chris