Re: [OM] Digital equipment for bird photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital equipment for bird photography
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 03:11:23 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A couple of days ago I looked at an exhibition in the information Centre,
> Christchurch city, where I live.
>
> It was all about bird photography, and the works of about 8 photographers
> were on show.  Don't think it is on-line.
>
> One aspect that caught my eye was that with the exception of maybe one
> person, they were using Canyon digital cameras fitted with a 300 mm Canyon
> lens.
>
> The images, all displayed at about A3 size or larger, were pretty sharp.

Virtually all great bird shots where the bird fills most of the original
frame are taken in captivity, at feeding stations and/or using blinds.

Shot of an eagle with fish in its talons that's beautifully sharp and
clear and taken from level with or above the bird? 99.9% likelihood it
was taken from a blind.

 A wildlife photog tracked eagles to their nests, noted the regular
route of return with food, located a cliff or tree, if cover was
insufficient, added a blind, then spent several hours a day sitting
quietly - waiting. In such work, lens is chosen based on distance and
bird size, and may well not be a particularly long lens.

If you just want opportunity shots, are willing to crop lots and are
willing to carry around a heavy lens, you can get some pretty nice
shots, but not the great ones.

Even with a modest lens, some DSLRs with good high ISO performance can
win a few.

This is a sheer luck shot. I was shooting something else on  a coastal
bluff, happened to look up as the vulture flew right over my head from
behind me, raised the camera and pushed the button. Taken with a cheap,
small sensor Canon, the 300D, so the effective focal length was 1.6 x
300 = 480 mm. Same shot on the 5D would show a lot more blue sky, but be
slightly clearer at the pixel level.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/FilmvsDigi/FvD03.htm>

This was shot using the same Tamron 28-300 mm zoom, hand held at quite a
distance from the bird. I only got in two shots before the sparrow flew
away, but one got it.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/PtLobos/LobosSparrow.htm>

So yes, if a slow, third party zoom can get the goods, the Canon 300 IS
certainly can. But - it takes either careful set-up or lots of luck.

Moose