Re: [OM] Some snow in England

Subject: Re: [OM] Some snow in England
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:05:20 -0500
The big freeze in Florida finally seems to be letting up.  I'm in
Palmetto for the winter (just south of Tampa).  There are train tracks
passing close by which are dedicated to moving oranges from groves just
north of here to the Tropicana juice plant in Bradenton just south of
me.  Normally you'd hear the train blow its whistle a few times a day
and only in daylight.  Since the cold hit they've been scrambling to get
the early crop picked and the trains have been passing by blowing their
whistles all night long.  From recent news reports it appears they've
gotten about 1/2 of the early crop picked.  It's not clear how much
damage the rest of the crop (especially the late crop) has sustained.
The strawberry crop is also in peril.

It's now about 7 am and the temperature is 31 F.  Yesterday morning at
this time it was 25 F (-4 C).  Tomorrow morning it should stay above
freezing.

Chuck Norcutt