Re: [OM] [OT] leica M 50mm lens wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] leica M 50mm lens wanted
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:11:57 -0600
Moose,

I have not seen a m4/3 camera, so I am doing a bit of guessing here.  From
what I can find in web searches, the registration distance for the m4/3 is
around 20mm.  One Leica M to m4/3 adapter, when adjusted to achieve infinity
focus, measured 8.57mm.  A LTM to Leica M adapter should be 1.00mm.

Assuming that all of the space from the sensor to the lens mounting flange
on the camera is open space, then that provides 29.57mm from the Jupiter 12
rear mounting flange to the sensor face.

I just measured my J12 as best I could without marking the huge rear
element, and, at infinity focus, the rear element extends 23mm from the back
of the mounting flange.  That element is approximately 29mm in diameter near
its rear extremity.

This tells me there would be about 6mm clearance between the face of the
rear element and the sensor.  If no other devices take up any of the chamber
space, then, physically, it could probably be mounted.  However, the exit
angles from that large rear element would seem to me to be too extreme to
provide a usable image, except perhaps as a fisheye.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA