Re: [OM] IMG: film stuff from the holidays

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: film stuff from the holidays
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:37:32 -0800
Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Now that I have my M8 back, it will be a while before I use film again. But
> in the meantime, I finished scanning and editing another 4 rolls this past
> week, and have put 28 new images in my film gallery on Smugmug. This one and
> the next 27:
>
> http://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Sometimes-I-use-film/7590141_XFqsu#766329409_wWLQU-O-LB
>
> All made with Ilford FP4 Plus and developed by Copia Lab in Barcelona.

Thanks, an enjoyable trip.

I thought the sides leaning in on this one were odd looking.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/SIUF049.htm>

I'm the first to say I know nothing about B&W films, so I don't know the
cause, but several images came out with upper mid tones pushed up into
the highlight area. In others, the tonal palette and graduations seem
excellent to me. Fortunately, whatever the cause(s), exposure,
development or scanning, the high end was just squashed up near the top,
not clipped, so they can be adjusted.

- <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/SIUF050.htm>
- <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/SIUF052.htm>
- <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/SIUF059.htm>

There's also an overall softness in all of them; normal with many film
scans if not sharpened at display size. Rather nice on some, too soft
for my taste on some others.

Moose