Re: [OM] Advice on 90/2 lens repair - broken off metal piece on rear

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on 90/2 lens repair - broken off metal piece on rear
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:31:43 +1100
Unsurprising tho' not as refined as a Leica. My father-in-law ran a
couple for years. Every panel could be removed by unbolting it from
the 'skeleton' and could then be bashed back into shape with a hammer
and anvil as it was alumin(i)um. He even made a couple of wings/guards
for them from scratch from sheet metal. Almost every repair could be
made halfway up a mountain with a couple of screwdrivers and a shifter
(crescent wrench) and most parts had easy access for field stripping.
The gearbox was a tad tricky to remove but that was all. Most of the
examples here have been modified to take an old Holden (GM) six
cylinder 179 cu. in. engine - the 202 was too strong for the gearbox.
Not an 'SUV' - nothing sporty about it - but a real 4WD before they
all developed daft plastic wheel arch trim, metallic paintwork, turbo-
diesel engines, chassisless construction, pretty designs and all the
other nonsense that made them desirable as shopping trollies and
domestic school buses. Same goes for old Landcruisers and Patrols.
Even the original Range Rover had that neat trick with the aluminium
body panels.
I once saw a Citroen 2CV run into the back of one. The Rover had a
scratched tow bar. The Deux Chevaux was destroyed to the bulkhead.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx