Re: [OM] PAW Phx - Moose

Subject: Re: [OM] PAW Phx - Moose
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:11:04 +1100
I sometimes try translating a little Baudelaire - it's almost a hobby
for some people.
It requires quantities of coffee and/or Ricard.

No 'brief' - pallid light (worse than pale) - otherwise OK I think.
The best resource -
<http://fleursdumal.org/poem/229>
and it has various translations. I like Campbell best I think.
But there's nothing quite like rolling the original around your mouth
- it's very voluptuous.
That last stanza of La Fin is a wonderful epitaph and none of the
translations quite capture the change of tone.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx