Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")

Subject: Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")
From: Russ Butler <rbinnj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:31:25 -0500
Joel,

Thanks for taking the time to pen your thoughts. I'm with you, as I have
similar conflicts when editing images.

Nearly all my PP is on raw color print film scans. Sometimes, when the
light was really right, a raw scan will look so good that I don't want
to touch it with all its warts:  ~half contrast, not much color, soft,
grainy, ... Yet I do.

When I edit I have several text files open for reference and to record
what I do with each image. One of them is "KEY EDITING POINTS.txt". It
has a line that shouts this:
"*GO EASY ON EVERYTHING - YOU'RE OVERDOING IT"
It's meant to be a constant reminder to turn the knobs gently or not at
all as I've been thru several "over" phases: sharpening, saturating,
contrasting, "S" curving, and LCE'ing. Somehow I've never been in an
"under" phase but I'm working on it :-)

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)