Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")

Subject: Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 06:43:33 -0600
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM, C.H.Ling <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for mentioning my Europe trip photos and the praise!

Are they still on the web somewhere?  It would be good to see them again.

> To me post processing is very complicated, it requires good combinations of
> senses of art and realism. I'm not good at that so I just try to keep
> trusting a good camera rendering. Fortunately, the Europe shots mentioned
> were taken with a E-1...

I've spent my leisure time over the past few days reworking several
galleries because my photos don't look right on the new monitor.
These galleries are mainly E-1 photos and they look best when the
settings are pretty much straight from the camera:  normal saturation,
daylight WB, etc.  My old monitor on VGA was thin on color and I had
to bump up saturation a bit to make them look right.  It always
bothered me and I assumed the color was actually thin coming from the
camera!

I believe that for me minimalist post processing and more
concentration on using the camera essentially to get the shot I want
is the discipline I desire.  There is something depressing about
taking a marginal image and trying to make something good out of it in
post.  Perhaps I am creeping towards a philosophy of shooting jpg
only!

Joel W.