Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")

Subject: Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")
From: Russ Butler <rbinnj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:27:40 -0500
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Here are two Isle Royale E-1 photos I recently resized.
>
> http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/IRNP/album/Tobin%20Harbor/slides/_9055130.html

That's a beauty (as are most of the shots there).
I've had "fun" trying to get that color right.

> I think I just went back to the TIF I had made and resized the web
> image.  I can never be really sure about shades of green so I don't
> fuss over them, but I was pleased with the pink of the flower petals,
> as I know that was what drew me to the flower.
>
> This one:
>
> http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/IRNP/album/Tobin%20Harbor/slides/_9095504.html
>
> and the one following in the gallery capture that difficult light
> lavender color exactly as I remember it.

I'm quite familiar with that color, as we have similar wild
flowers/weeds here in NJ and I see the same further north in Quebec.
Looks to me that you and the E-1 nailed it.

It's very easy to understand not getting it right, as it sits way up on
the histogram where a bit of fiddling kills it.

   Someone (Russ B.?) remarked
> on the skewed lavender or blue colors in the DPreview review of the
> E-620 that Jim C. posted (in a different context).
>
> IIRC, when Jim posted the DP article it was focused on the Gradation
> feature, which requires Studio to manipulate in raw development.  In
> the section on color that Russ commented on, the review did not
> indicate whether they were still using Studio or whether DP had
> reverted to its MO of using ACR or PhaseOne to test color.  Very
> frustrating!

Yes, I (Russ B) made the comment on Jim's post on the DP article:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/page17.asp

The comment on the shots at the bottom of the page BLEW my mind.
"It's an extremely minor complaint (the likelihood of most people
noticing it is tiny), but is worth being aware of. "
If I saw the right one and got the left from a film scan, I'd throw in
the towel and get an E-1 or -x :-)

> I THINK these examples may illustrate the usefulness of Studio for
> getting colors mapped "correctly."  For me they get at, especially the
> first one, something I really like about the E-1 or possibly just
> Olympus as a whole.  I'm probably just noticing it because I've now
> got a monitor that's more equal to the task.
>
> Both photos were made with the Z 90/2, which definitely has its own
> "look" on an E.

I'm nearly sold, but I need to borrow that 90/2 just to be sure :-)

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)