Re: [OM] [OT] Firedoor installation

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Firedoor installation
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:30:43 -0600

> It has a fire-resist rating of two hours.
> I'm surprised that only 30 minutes is required.

LOL, two hours, eh?  Actually, believe it or not that type of drywall is
remarkable at slowing the spread of fire, but there are a couple of caveats.
First of all, nails. Nails transfer heat through the board to the wood studs
behind. Secondly, if there is any explosion of any form, the drywall can
crack which will cause problems. Thirdly, that two hour rating pretty much
means that a standard x-degree fire take two hours to transfer enough heat
to the other side of the drywall to start the studs on fire. It's an
insulation thing. But what about the paper backing? It burns off and the
drywall remains standing and isolating as long as nothing touches it,
presses against it or shatters it. This is why in many places, a firebreak
requires two layers of drywall.

Question: is this room for just the fuel tanks, or is the furnace in there
> too?
> If the latter, sealing it off will deny it the air it needs for combustion.

Building codes around here require external air source for all
combustion-style furnaces.

AG