Re: [OM] Musings from the dark side - i.e. life with 5D2

Subject: Re: [OM] Musings from the dark side - i.e. life with 5D2
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:57:44 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Norton"

> In the final print. Pixel-peeping on-screen and a nice high-quality print
> on
> paper is another thing altogether. For 99% of my portrait/wedding output
> it
> ends up chemically printed by a lab on FCA (or equivalent) in a pearl
> surface with a luster coating applied. It's hard to see noise in those
> prints even from the E-1 at ISO 800 in sizes up to 8x10". The event
> photography is almost always reduced in size for web display or printed in
> newsletters and magazines where the noise is non-existent and a non-issue.
> Even from E-1 images at ISO 1600. I usually do a little cleansing, but not
> much.  My E-1 noise-levels are lower because of some tricks learned
> through
> the years with it, but for the average person who hasn't tweeked every
> gram
> out of it, yeah, it's garbage.

I agree image printed on paper is less demanding, but non-issue and
non-existent is different, I can only agree at ISO800 the noise of E-1 image
is non-issue for some types of images but it hurts the fine details not good
for landscape and street scene.

At ISO6400, the default noise reduction on 5D II is very strong, it is
hurting the details, what you are seeing at full pixel may be just
equivalent to a 5MP's image details.

> I don't mind the fact that these high-MP sensors aren't cleaner than
> lesser,
> older sensors with fewer pixels. With the E-1, the noise is not only
> there,
> but it's BIG noise because the sensor has fewer pixels. The 5Dmk2's
> per-pixel noise level isn't much better than the E-1's, but the noise is
> positively tiny which means that it disappears in most final prints.
>
> Not all noise is evil. I actually prefer a little bit of it as it provides
> texture to the images. I've compared the E-1's noise pattern to that of
> other cameras and one thing which is quite apparant is that the E-1's
> noise
> pattern is present throughout the entire tonal sweep, whereas some cameras
> are very clean until you get down into the darker tones. This gives a nice
> dimensional texture to the image which I particularily like. But that's
> strictly a preference thing, not a "better than..." thing. I'm actually
> quite interested in the 5Dmk2 because it is actually a bit noisier than
> some
> of the other competitive cameras, but the pattern is more, uh,
> Olympus-like.  :)

In my eyes, E-1 has noise of very even size while 5D II has finer noise at
brighter area up to fairly large noise blocks at shadow, I don't think it is
Olympus-like. And yes, it does have pattern noise if that's what you wanted
:-)

C.H.Ling